Cotter is a Diverse Catholic School Community of Faith, Scholarship, and Service. Cotter is a Catholic, day and boarding, college preparatory school. Our diverse school community includes students with a wide range of talents and interests. Cotter's faculty and staff assist students of all abilities as they strive to achieve their personal best.
Students receive an excellent education with close attention given to their individual needs. Cotter provides students with a challenging and supportive school environment with teachers who are passionate about teaching and assisting students become young men and woman of character. This care and enthusiasm inspires students to strive for success.
The school opened its doors on September 5, 1911. Cotter, named for the dioceses first bishop, Bishop Joseph Cotter, was a boy's school directed by the Christian Brothers of St. John Baptist De La Salle. In 1952, the Brothers turned the operation of the school over to the diocese and Cotter became co-educational with the combining of the Cathedral Girls High School. In 1953 the new Cotter building was erected and in 1962 an addition was added. In 1992 the school moved to its current location on the campus of St. Teresa. Through its many changes, Cotter has never wavered in its mission to spread the good news and to uphold the finest traditions in Catholic education.